Thursday 27 October 2011

Affordances – History


As I sit and fold the washing I think how this is something that is done, everyday, often without really thinking too deeply about it. I fold the few cloth nappies I have. Usually I just use disposables, but sometimes, when I run out, or its nice and sunny and my two little boys wear nothing but a nappy a cloth one is nice. The nappies on my laundry pile are modern, fitted nappies, with waterproof outer layers and soft inner padding. It reminds me of sitting on the floor as a child and folding my little brother’s nappies. His were quite different. The big old square white ones with the red line on one edge. Its funny, as a 5year old I knew how to fold those and now I have my own children in nappies I have absolutely no idea how to fold one. It makes me wonder what brilliant new, easy-to-use inventions will be around for when my children have children.

I used to enjoy helping with my brother’s nappies. There always seemed to be millions of them, all the same to be soaked, washed, hung and folded. One whole line would be taken up with them, big white uniform squares blowing in the wind. And once folded, there was a mountainous stack that Mum would put away in the drawers to be used later.

No comments:

Post a Comment