Thursday 27 October 2011

Practical considerations


Laundry requires a few practical considerations. To begin with a washing machine is essential. At least in my house it is. While I was on maternity leave a couple of months ago I decided to renovate our kitchen and laundry and I discovered exactly how essential a washing machine is and how much laundry two parents, a nanny, 2 toddlers and a newborn baby can make. Without a machine for about 6 weeks, I took loads to the local Laundromat, and at $4 per load at the Laundromat, many loads to friend’s houses to borrow their machines. I did briefly consider washing stuff by hand, but with no water plumbed downstairs we were already washing the dishes in the bathtub upstairs, washing clothes by hand too was a little too much!

The other most important tool to me is pegs. It was sunny today, and I thought for the first time in ages I would hang the washing outside to dry. I carried the washing basket outside to the line, to discover that I had no pegs. A simple thing, but one I hadn’t thought of. Last summer I had 2 ice-cream containers full, but they have been used for many other things. Laundry pegs are found in all sorts of places in our house. In the kitchen they are commonly used for sealing the top of packets in place of a twisty-tie. They have also been seen clamping piles of receipts and papers together and I am sure that if someone upturned the toy box there would be a large amount in there. And occasionally they can be even be used for attaching clothes to a clothes horse upstairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment